Every toddler is different, and so is every family, so there are no one-size-fits-all rules when it comes to toilet training - or anything else in parenting! Still, there are some signs you can look for that might indicate your little one is ready to start thinking about toilet training.
1. He stays dry for a few hours at a stretch during the day.
2. He has regular bowel movements at around the same time every day.
3. He can pull his own pants up and down.
4. He can sit quietly in one position for a short time.
5. He has shown interest in the bathroom or potty.
6. He can follow simple directions.
7. He can communicate when he needs to use the bathroom.
8. He knows other potty training children (for example, at daycare) and wants to emulate them.
Just remember - your little one will likely have some of these signs before he has others, and all of these are just guidelines. Follow your instincts, and if you have any concerns, bring them up with your pediatrician.