The holy grail of parenting is a good night’s sleep. When your baby is well-rested and can sleep through the night, well, that means you’re well-rested too. But sometimes the path to bedtime can be a rocky one. While some infants seemingly sleep 8 hours with little to no fuss, other babies need a little TLC and a few rules to capture quality slumber.
Here are our tips to help your infant (and you!) sleep through the night.
5 TIPS TO BUILD YOUR BEDTIME Routine
- Your bedtime routine should start around the same time each night. That doesn’t mean you have to do it to the minute, but giving your baby consistency will ensure that they start to recognize that it’s bedtime.
- Bedtime is the perfect for a good book. Getting your infant used to comfort and familiarity of a routine will pay off big in the long run, and the perfect way to do this is with a good book.
- Introduce a white noise machine. This is not only a great way to single to your baby that it’s time to go to bed, but it’s also a great way to keep out the sounds of the city, town or even the country for that matter!
- Be smart about your sleep space. Setting up a small space or nursery that streamlines your routine will help you and your baby transition to nighttime seamlessly. Make sure you keep the space dark and at a cool temperature, keep the crib bare to avoid stimulating the baby at night and use your white noise machine to single that it’s time for bed.
- Know your baby’s sleep needs. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that infants age 4–12 months get between 12–16 hours of sleep during each 24-hour period. Knowing this, be sure to put your baby to bed early and at the same time every night, so they can reap the benefits of a good night’s rest.
When in doubt, keep it simple. Here are the steps to take to keep your routine short, sweet and sleep-optimized!
- After your baby’s last feeding of the evening, engage the baby in a simple activity (like reading a book!)
- Always read to them in the same place at the same time.
- Take your baby to the nursery or their safe sleep space.
- Turn on their white noise machine.
- Turn off the lights.
- And, scene.
If you need more resources to help guide you through your sleep training journey, visit us at The Baby Box Co. Courses for access to our library of online videos, courses and all things parenting 101.