JOIN THE BABY BOX CO.
Access our free expert parenting classes with rewards
The History Of The Baby Box and Sleep Safety
A Baby Box is a Finnish tradition dating back to 1938. In the 1930s, Finland was a poor country and infant mortality was high. Enter: the Baby Box program—a state led initiative to give expectant mothers the tools they need to raise a healthy, happy baby. And, it worked! The initiative, which enables every expecting woman in the country to get a Baby Box once she receives prenatal care and parenting information from a healthcare professional, is credited with helping to decrease Finland’s infant mortality rate from 65 deaths for each 1,000 children born in 1938 to 3 deaths per 1,000 births in 2013.
By pairing together education and expert medical support with a box full of newborn necessities that doubles as the child’s first safe sleep space, the country now boasts one of the lowest infant mortality rates worldwide, and it is considered one of the best countries in the world for mothers to live.
How The Baby Box Co. Was Born
Note: Our Baby Boxes are unavailable at this time. Meanwhile, please check out our available free online parenting classes with rewards.
Childhood best friends Jennifer Clary and Michelle Vick, were inspired to start The Baby Box Co. when they learned about the Finnish tradition. When Michelle had her first child, she was shocked to learn that SIDS was the number one cause of infant deaths from one to 12 months old. So she and Jennifer became determined to find a way to make it easier for parents to practice safe sleep. The Baby Box Co. was built upon the idea that every child deserves to be safe and all parents deserve the education and support they need to raise healthy, happy babies.
Our Baby Boxes are made of durable cardboard that meets all applicable standards for bassinets in the US, Canada, and the European Union. Our mattresses are firm, safe for sleep and certified as free from potentially toxic chemicals such as mercury, lead, PBDE flame retardants, and formaldehyde. Baby Boxes are inexpensive and portable, so parents use them in several different ways:
- As their baby’s primary bed.
- As a daytime nap space, so your baby can sleep where ever you happen to be in your home.
- As an inexpensive bed to leave at grandma’s or a caregiver’s house.
- As a travel bed. It’s easy to pack your baby’s gear inside the box, put in the trunk and take on a trip.
In 2017, Temple University wanted to understand if baby boxes could move the needle on safe sleep in the U.S. In a study of over 5000 women, half were given safe sleep boxes made by The Baby Box Co. and face-to-face education on safe sleep. They found this program reduced bed sharing, a known SIDS risk factor, by 25% in the first eight days of life; among exclusively breastfed babies, who bed share at a higher rate, a 50% reduction occurred.
What To Expect AS a REGISTERED MEMBER
- As a member you’ll gain access to our expert-led educational video classes with rewards. Rewards range from free baby gear to sweepstakes entries to exclusive discounts from our partners.
- You’ll also get our member newsletters, in which we announce all new classes with rewards and send practical articles on pregnancy and parenting tips for babies and toddlers.
- Exclusive member offers on hand-picked products we love.
Sign up is free, quick and easy. Start now!