There are so many things to think about as a new parent—from baby proofing your home to safe sleep to car seat safety, there are a million thoughts racing through your mind as you bring a new human into the world. However, we are here to make parenting as simple as possible. Something that a lot of people probably don’t even think about is stroller safety, but there are a few easy habits you can incorporate into your routine to ensure that your baby rolls safely.
Keep reading for stroller safety tips for new parents.
Stroller Safety Tips
- Never leave your stroller unattended. This should go without saying, but don’t ever leave your baby unattended in their stroller. They aren’t luggage at the airport!
- Strap them in snugly! Always buckle your baby’s harness and seat belt when you take them for a ride. Especially as they start to get older and wiggle around, they could wiggle their way out!
- Utilize the brakes. If you live in a town or city with hills, engaging the stroller brake is a no-brainer. However, it should be a habit you always get into simply for safety’s sake. Engage your stroller brakes whenever you stop the stroller.
- Be toy-savvy. As your baby becomes more alert and engaged, you’ll want to take toys along to stimulate them. For safety, make sure toys are securely fastened.
- Avoid the sun. Avoid letting the baby’s stroller sit in the sun for long periods of time. Babies can quickly overheat in direct sunlight because they cannot regulate their body temperature as well as adults can, and they are also prone to sunburns because their skin is very delicate. Also, parts of the stroller might become too hot to touch.
- Do your homework. If the stroller comes with a warranty, be sure that you fill it out in the event of a recall or other manufacturing issue. If it’s a used stroller, do your homework and double check (by looking online or contacting the manufacturer) that there haven’t been recalls for your model.